Georgia State uses the Localist content management system to promote events for internal and external audiences. Localist provides a robust, centralized platform for creating, managing and promoting events to a wide range of audiences. Localist events can be integrated with your existing websites, social media email campaigns and more.
Events can be submitted by by faculty, staff and students by signing into Localist at https://calendar.gsu.edu and clicking the red “submit an event” button. Events submitted by non-admins will go into a pending queue before they are added to the calendar. If you plan to submit events often, contact firstname.lastname@example.org for admin rights.
Admins should submit events from the Admin Dashboard. You can get there by clicking on the grAy head near the top right of the calendar page. Under the drop-down menu, click “calendar admin.” Next, click the “events” tab on the left sidebar and “add event.”
Localist is generally quite intuitive – you put the name of the event in the “Event Name” box and so on. Still, there are a couple of features that benefit from explanation:
- Repeating: This box is for events that happen again and again. It’s pretty straightforward to use, but if your event is only occurring once, make sure this box reads “Never.”
- If your event is happening on multiple days, enter the first date details and click the “add above to schedule” button and then add the next date.
- Event photo: Localist will display an image for each event. If you don’t enter an image, the system will by default display an image of the building that the event is in.
- Don’t worry about the size of the image. Localist will resize appropriately. Do not use flyers or pdfs for your image: https://support.localist.com/customizing-photos/
- Once you upload the image, you’ll be given the option to choose how the image crops, basically by dragging a box over the portion of the image you want to show on your page.
- Localist does not accept pdfs as photos, but you can link to this information.
- Event type. It looks like some very specific units are listed here, but this is NOT where you list your department or unit. Instead, pick something general such as "lecture."
- Offices and resources: This box is for university offices and resources, and does not apply to college or department events.
- Location: Adding a location is easy. If your event is on campus, just start typing a building name and a dropdown menu should appear. Select your building from the list and the location and mapping information will be added automatically. If you don’t see the building name, type in the address.
Click on the “tickets and registration tab” next to the “event details tab” and uncheck the “use localist register box.”
Free events: If you’d like to indicate an event is free, you can write “free” in the ticket cost field, but don’t put anything in the ticket URL field.
Ticketed events: Enter the ticket cost and the ticket URL. This will trigger a “Buy Tickets” link to appear.
Free ticketed events: Enter “Free” in the cost field, indicate in the text that tickets are required, and add a URL for ticket information. This will trigger a “Register” button to appear.
Events (free or not) that require registration: Enter the registration URL in the “Ticket Link” field. This will trigger the “Register” button to appear. You can also enter an Eventbrite ID.
You can create overarching dedicated pages that unlock new ways to gather content and offer a new opportunity to implement branding as well as adjust the layout of an individual page. Examples: Semesters, seasons, conferences, holidays.
Additional information: http://support.localist.com/article/intro-channels/
I’d like to put an event only on my department calendar – not on college or university calendars.
This one is easy. Fill out everything as usual, but leave the “Colleges and School” box blank. Change the visibility field from public to restricted and then click the widgets box.
Can I get a default image that is specific to my department?
Yes. In order to do so, you need to find an appropriate image and work with Leah Seupersad to get it set up in the system. Admins can edit their department page on the calendar system by going to the department’s Localist page and clicking edit.
*Enter as much information about the event as possible. Note if the event requires an admission surcharge and/or any seating arrangements. Always save the event or save changes made to the event.
- Request access for admin rights.
- Request new categories be added to the system.
- Request for new default images to be added to the system.
- Request for shortcode to display a Localist widget on your web page.
- Issues with Localist displaying incorrectly on your web page