Who/what are you making a video about? There are various forms of video, including:
- Event Highlights
Who is the audience and how are sharing your video?
- Think about who you are reaching with this video
- What is the platform for distribution?
- Horizontal or Vertical (both!)
What is the composition of the video going to look like?
- Good framing matters!
- Rule of thirds
- Remember head room
How will the video look stylistically?
- Colorful and vibrant (not the Wizard of Oz, filtered, or black and white)
- In the moment
When capturing audio, make sure it’s as clean as possible
- Try to use a boom mic or lav mic
- Avoid distracting background noise such as producing next to a loud AC unit, traffic, or outside music
- Level speaking volume to broadcast standard of -12 decibels
- If using music with video, level volume to -18 so mix is not detracting from the message.
- Make sure you do captions! Not only will this make your video compliant with accessibility but also allows the best options with viewing experience for your audience.